This checklist has been provided as a tool to aid in the compliance of relative humidity testing per ASTM F2170.
It is highly recommended that you obtain your own copy of ASTM F2170.
Step 1. Verify relative humidity measuring instrument conforms to section 6 of ASTM F2170
- Verify conformity to figure #1 and figure #2 found in section 6 of F2170
- Verify NIST-traceable calibration certificate is on file
Step 2. Check calibration of measuring instrument per section 8 of ASTM F2170.
- For new unused probes, proceed to next step.
- For re-useable probes: (Not required for RapidRH)
o A calibration check within 30 days before use is required. Note date on report.
Step 3. Verify 48 hour service conditioning of concrete floor slab and the occupied air space above the floor slab per section 9 of ASTM F2170.
- Concrete floor slab shall be at service temperature and the occupied air space above the floor slab shall be at service temperature and service relative humidity for at least 48 hours.
Step 4. Determine number and location of test holes per section 10.1 of ASTM F2170.
- Three test holes for the first 1000 ft2 (100 m2 ) and at least one additional test for each additional 1000 ft2 (100 m2).
- Record total area of concrete slab and number of test holes required on
Step 5. Determine depth of test holes per section 10.2 of ASTM F2170.
- 40% of slab thickness if slab is drying from top only.
- 20% of slab thickness if slab is drying from top and bottom.
- Record concrete slab thickness and depth of test holes on
Step 6. Drill and prepare test holes per section 10.3 of ASTM F2170.
- Note location of test holes on site map.
- For RapidRH, place serial number decal of sensor with corresponding test hole on report.
Step 7. Verify 24-hour moisture equilibrium period for each test hole per section 10.3.4 of ASTM F2170.
Step 8. Perform relative humidity measurements per section 10.5 of ASTM F2170.
- Verify that meter reading does not drift more than 1% relative humidity over a 5 minute period.
- A RapidRH reader can be read immediately after insertion in to each test hole since the sensor has already been equilibrated for at least 24 hours.
- Re-usable probes should equilibrate at least one (1) hour in each test hole to help ensure an accurate measurement.
Step 9. Record and report the results per section 11 of ASTM F2170.
Wagner Meters will not be responsible or liable for the actual recorded data. In addition, because Wagner Meters has no control of the use of any probes, Wagner Meters cannot be held responsible for any liability by the use of this document. Wagner Meters shall not be liable for incidental or consequential damages for the breach of any express or implied warranty with respect to the use of this document. Wagner Meters shall in no event be liable for any breach of the intent set forth in ASTM F2170. This document should not be used alone but in conjunction with the ASTM F2170 documentation. Where differences are perceived, the ASTM F2170 documentation has precedence over this document.