Built for Skin Cancer Awareness
Published by DCOCF marketing, May 27th, 2022
May is Skin Cancer Awareness Month
May is Skin Cancer Awareness Month. With over 5 million cases diagnosed in the United States each year, skin cancer is America’s most common cancer. One in 5 Americans will develop skin cancer before the age of 70. Fortunately, skin cancer is also one of the most preventable cancers. By sharing facts about the dangers of unprotected sun exposure and encouraging people to check their skin for warning signs, we can and will save lives. This month, we want to feature projects built for skin cancer awareness, to help raise the bar for information on skin cancer prevention.
Georgia Skin Cancer & Aesthetic Dermatology: Athens, GA
DCO Commercial Floors had the privilege of completing the flooring for the new construction at the Georgia Skin Cancer Specialist office in Athens. GA. The project consisted of all new flooring and was installed throughout the facility, with hygienic flooring applications in all patient rooms for sanitization and functionality overall. Hygienic flooring is especially important in healthcare facilities because it is easier to clean, has antibacterial properties, and has chemical resistance so that it stays strong and durable for everyday use.
The following materials were used on this project: Mannington Biospec MD, Flax, Cool Beige | VCT: Armstrong Imperial, Washed Linen ; Highland Forest, Walnut, Nutty Brown ; Natural Creations Arbor Art, Toasted Sesame, Grist Mill Buttered | LVT: Natural Creations Mystix, Cardamom, Zantar | Carpet Tile: Tandus Plexus Color II, Flint Stone, Clay Earth ; Tandus Rivet, Heel-Toe ; Patcraft Prado, Quartz.
If you or someone you know may need a skin cancer specialist, we encourage you to go to one of your local dermatologists. Georgia Skin Cancer & Aesthetic Dermatology is local to Athens, GA.
How to Prevent Skin Cancer:
The Skin Cancer Foundation recommends:
- Seek the shade, especially between 10 AM and 4 PM.
- Don’t get sunburned.
- Avoid tanning, and never use UV tanning beds.
- Cover up with clothing, including a broad-brimmed hat and UV-blocking sunglasses.
- Use a broad-spectrum (UVA/UVB) sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher every day. For extended outdoor activity, use a water-resistant, broad- spectrum (UVA/UVB) sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher.
- Apply 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) of sunscreen to your entire body 30 minutes before going outside. Reapply every two hours or after swimming or excessive sweating. Find sunscreen by searching our Recommended Products.
- Keep newborns out of the sun. Use sunscreen on babies over the age of six months.
- Examine your skin head-to-toe every month.
- See a dermatologist at least once a year for a professional skin exam.
- Get all the details: Your Daily Sun Protection Guide. Skin Cancer Prevention PDF.
How you can help:
YOU are the most important part of Skin Cancer Awareness Month! Download and share graphics from the Skin Cancer Awareness Month Toolkit. You can also share skin cancer facts, prevention guidelines and early detection content. Thank you for spreading the word! Get the toolkit.
Let’s flood social media with a wave of people doing the #SkinCheckChallenge! Here’s how it works:Join the #SkinCheckChallenge™
- First, check your skin from head to toe. Look for anything new, changing or unusual.
- Then, post a photo or video of your skin check and share it online with the hashtag #SkinCheckChallenge.
- Share a “thumbs up” pic or get creative with our custom #SkinCheckChallenge photo booth frames. Tag us and tell us if you found anything.
- Then, invite two friends to do it too.
For More Info:
About the firm: DCO Commercial Floors is a nationwide flooring dealer that is committed to being a flooring solutions leader for all finishes, bridging the gap between traditional floor covering and modern access flooring solutions. We provide comprehensive project management so that your project is smooth from the estimating stages to breaking down the bid, and procurement, from installation to closeout. DCO will provide and deliver on all facets to become the partner of choice for your project.